Wednesday, February 20, 2008

I'm a student at Morehead State University studying in the Social work program. I have also been volunteering at a rehabilitation center that treats people for substance abuse; which is run by my church in our small little town. Needless to say, I know a lot about drugs from what the school has taught me and what the residents at the rehab have told me. In December, i had my tonsils removed which was not a big deal. What was interesting, was that the doctor was demanding I take his prescription of Percocets, even though the pain did not bother my that bad. What was even worse was that the prescription called for 2 refills, but i refused to fill it out. I may be young, but i wasn't born yesterday. The fact that someone would try to prescribe that many pills for not a whole lot of pain made me think they were trying to get me addicted. I understand that most people are in real extreme pain and really need the medicine, but why are the doctors so eager to give out the medicine that is extremely addictive? Could it be the fact that once your addicted the only person who really gets money out of it is the company that manufactures the drug. This could be the reason that these pills as well as many others: Loritabs, Oxicodones, and methadone pills are such a problem in today's society. If everyone where addicted to these pills then the drug manufacturers would get even richer than they already are, because they wouldn't want the normal drugs like marijuana, LSD, and Meth; but they would want the drugs that they produce. Unless something is done about these drugs then soon we will all be hooked and if you ask me, that is what the drug companies want.

No comments: